Chennai Set to Host the 2023 SDAT-WSF Squash World Cup
Chennai, India – May 22, 2023 – The vibrant city of Chennai is gearing up to host the highly anticipated 2023 SDAT-WSF Squash World Cup from June 13th to June 17th. This prestigious event, sponsored by the Tamilnadu Government, will bring together top squash players from around the world to compete for the coveted trophy.
Mr. N. Ramachandran, Chairman of the Championship Committee, along with the Tamilnadu Squash Racket Association members, expressedtheir sincere gratitude for the commendable efforts undertaken by the Tamilnadu Government. Mr. N. Ramachandran, also extendedhis heartfelt thanks to the Honourable Chief Minister and the Honourable Minister for Youth Welfare and Sports Development of Tamilnadu for their unwavering support in allocating an initial amount of Rs. 1.50 crores for the successful organisation of the SDAT-WSF Squash World Cup. The approval and provision of funds by the Tamilnadu Government for this prestigious event deserve the utmost appreciation.
Mr. N. Ramachandran also thanked HCL, the strategic partner for this event, for their continuous support and commitment to squash over the past seven years. Additionally, Mr. Ramachandran expressed his appreciation to Express Avenue Mall, a prominent retail destination, for their invaluable contribution as the venue partner for the fifth time.
The Squash World Cup, now in its fourth edition, has undergone significant changes since its last staging in 2011. This event will inspire a new generation of squash enthusiasts and contribute to the sport’s development in India.
This year’s tournament will feature gender parity within teams, showcasing the commitment to inclusivity and equality in squash. For the first time in WSF history, matches will be played to a best of 5 games to seven points, adding an exciting twist to the competition. Each team will consist of two men and two women, competing against each other in ties of four matches within their respective pools.
Eight countries will vie for the 2023 Squash World Cup trophy. Hosts India will be joined by Hong Kong, China; Japan; Malaysia; Egypt; South Africa; Australia, and Colombia. With its formidable squash players, Egypt is expected to be the top seed for the event, making the competition even more thrilling.
Indian fans will have the opportunity to support their home team and witness world-class squash in action. Saurav Ghosal will lead the Indian contingent, currently ranked 19th in the world, along with Abhay Singh, the Men’s National Champion, and the accomplished Joshna Chinappa (19 times National Champion) and Tanvi Khanna, who will also represent India at the upcoming Asian Games.
The Squash World Cup 2023 will also serve as a platform to promote the inclusion of squash as an Olympic sport. The World Squash Federation continues its efforts to advocate for the sport’s presence in future Olympic Games, and this tournament will showcase the immense potential of squash on the international stage.
The History of the Squash World Cup
The Squash World Cup has a rich history dating back to its inaugural edition in 1996 in Malaysia. Australia emerged victorious in the first tournament, followed by England and Egypt in subsequent editions. The revival of the event in 2023 promises to continue the tradition of showcasing top-level squash and fostering global camaraderie.
Rules of the Squash World Cup
• Competition Format: The World Cup will consist of two pools and a knockout stage.
• Team Composition: Ties shall be contested by teams of two men and two women.
• Playing Order: Woman #2, Man #1, Woman #1, Man #2 OR Man #2, Woman #1, Man #1, Woman #2 by coin toss.
• Match Scoring: All matches will be played to a best of 5 games to 7 points. At 6-6, the game will still be played to 7 points.
• Tie Scoring: A team will be awarded points for winning a match as follows: Women #1 & Man #1 – 2 points; Woman #2 & Man #2 – 1 point. In the knockout stage, in the event of a draw the winning team will be decided by the greater positive difference between games won and lost in a Tie.
• 13th, 14th& 15th June at Express Avenue – 1030 am, 1 pm, 330 pm & 6 pm (4 matches)
Knock out stage
• 16 June at Indian Squash Academy (play-off matches) – 1030 am, 1 pm (2 matches)
• 16 June at Express Avenue (semi-finals) – 330pm & 6 pm (2 matches)
• 17 June at Indian Squash Academy (play-off matches) – 1030 am, 1 pm (2 matches);
• 17 June at Express Avenue (Final) – 4 pm (1 match)
The 2023 Chennai Squash World Cup will be streamed live and free on WORLDSQUASH.TV (worldwide) and on the Olympic Channel.
The 2023 SDAT-WSF Squash World Cup promises to be an unforgettable event that celebrates the spirit of squash and unites players and fans from around the world. Chennai is all set to witness a spectacle of athleticism, passion, and intense competition as the squash stars compete for glory. Join us from June 13th to June 17th to experience the excitement first-hand.