La Trobe University, Australia Signs an MOU with SRM
Institute of Science & Technology, Chennai to Establish
Joint Centre of Eminence and
Also Signs MOU with Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT),
Chennai to further Fortify Research and Education Strategies
Chennai, April 2023:
Ranked within the top 1% of world universities, La Trobe University is a multi-campus university in Victoria, Australia and has been one of Australia’s pioneering universities offering distinctive and high-quality degrees that equip students to understand and engage with the global issues of today, providing graduates with the skills to embark on rewarding careers.
La Trobe has risen 46 places to claim its new spot at 316 in QS ranking. La Trobe has also risen to its new spot at 296 in Shanghai ranking (ARWU). And La Trobe Times Higher Education is in top 300.
Professor John Dewar AO, Vice-Chancellor & President, La Trobe University said, “Our visit to India this time is to enhance our relationship with India by signing a Memorandum of Understanding with SRM Institute of Science & Technology, Chennai to Establish Joint Centre of Eminence and also with Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), Chennai to further Fortify Research and Education Strategies.”
La Trobe recognises that SRM as one of the Top-Ranking Universities in India, offering wide range of UG, PG & Research Programs in Engineering, Management, Medicine and Science & Humanities. This partnership would establish a top-class collaborative Joint Centre of Eminence in Digital Technologies and Engineering.
Vision/Scope of Joint Centre of Eminence
• To establish a top-class collaborative Joint Centre of Eminence in Digital technologies and Engineering
• To design, develop, incubate and nurture young ideas to blossom into business models or proof of concepts.
• To attract industries to invest in innovative ideas that will be a win-win model.
• To attract potential minds and help converge to achievable goals in IoT and allied fields like ML, AI, data analytics, cloud and security.
La Trobe’s Partnership with VIT is expected to bring closer to Research and possible Education partnerships, Joint Research Grants, Virtual Internships, and delivery of Short Courses.
• Research collaboration started in 2018 when LTU staff visited VIT as part of the Australian Academy of Science (AAS) Australia-India fellowship. (Naveen Chilamkurti AAS Fellowship 2018-2019)
• Resulted in various collaborative programs, including joint publications, research webinars, workshops, and staff training.
• As per NIRF India, VIT ranks 9th overall, 10th in Research, and 12th in Engineering among Indian universities, with similar aspirations as LTU.
• Extended campuses in other states like Andhra Pradesh and Bhopal
• 48 professors of VIT are among the top 2% of scientists in the world (Stanford University Survey)
• Top 10 among Indian universities in the scientific impact of the research
• Shares the same research and working culture as La Trobe
• Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) Awarded “Excellence in enabling Research Environment” for the year 2019
La Trobe University, Australia is offering Scholarships to the value of 20% to 100% of the Total Tuition Fee forUndergraduate as well as Postgraduate International Students. These Scholarships are merit based and will be offered to the Students based on their prior academic performance.
About La Trobe University
La Trobe University is multi-campus university based in Victoria, Australia. Named after the first Lieutenant Governor of Victoria, La Trobe University has been at the forefront of higher education in Australia for the past fifty years. La Trobe is renowned for its academic excellence and research achievements. It has seven campuses in Victoria and one campus in New South Wales in Australia. More than 250,000 students have graduated from La Trobe University and have gone on to achieve great things in all walks of life, giving La Trobe its well-deserved reputation.